Memories... Like Mom Made!

Memories... Like Mom Made!
Out of dark moments, flowers grow.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rosette Bracelet: "The Rosie" Tutorial



So when I first started this blog, it was primarily with the idea of sharing recipes. Only recently have I really branched out in to my one true love: creating...

Okay okay, my husband and kids DEFINITELY come before creating... but as far as hobbies go: making things is TOPS.

When I have been itching for something to make/do, I usually plug in my hot glue gun, grab some scraps and whatever randomness I can find laying around, and have at it.

Like this pretty little thing.

Isn't it lovely?

I have never been a big bracelet wearing gal, but lately, I have been seeing gorgeous bracelets and bangles everywhere!

So I decided to make myself a bunch.

And I will share all the juicy details with you.

Starting with today's bracelet:

The Rosie

Start with:

a plain, thick (at least 1"), bangle
a long strip of fabric, about 1" wide by 20" or so (I tore mine so it was nice and frayed)
another strip of fabric, about 1 1/2 - 2" wide by 30 inches
a hot glue gun




Make sure your bracelet is clean and doesn't have any yucky junk on it... You know, because it would be weird to walk around with a beautiful thing on your arm that had a booger hidden under the fabric or something. Not that yours would... I am just saying... I have a toddler okay...


If you want your fabric to be extra frayed, rub the edges with your fingers and pull off some of the long threads.


Then, put a dot of glue on the inside of the bangle and press the end of you fabric to it. (I had a picture of this step but it turned out way too dark because I am the genius that decided to do crafts and take pictures AT NIGHT!... Sorry!)



Start wrapping around and around the bangle, securing with glue every other wrap or so.

I chose to glue mine ONLY on the inside, in case it would create an ugly bump and ruin the integrity of my cute bracelet.



When you make it back to where you started, snip off the excess fabric, leaving about an inch past the front top of your starting point.

Then fold the tail of the piece over and glue on the inside of the bracelet, on top of your starting point so that all of the original bangle is completely covered, and your loose ends are on the inside of the bangle (the part that will touch your wrist).



Try it on... Just to admire how beautiful it is already...

Now with your other piece of fabric (I chose a gorgeous coordinating teal to make the pattern in my base fabric really pop), make a rosette. There are a million ways to make rosettes: rolled, twisted, folded, whatever.

For this one, I chose to fold my fabric in half and iron it, then fold the edges in again and lightly press. Then I made a knot at one end and started gluing and twisting, gluing and twisting.

I didn't take pictures because I only have two hands, and I would prefer to not get burnt by my glue gun while trying to take a picture and glue...

If you still need rosette making help: google it. There are a million awesome tutorials out there!




So after you finish your rosette, find an attractive place for it on your bangle and glue it right on there.



Let it dry thoroughly, and then slide on your hot new bangle and wear with EVERYTHING!



So I guess I should tell you WHY I made this bangle...

Are you ready to be amazed?

I made this bangle to match a pair of SHOES I am making.

Making, as in: yet another project I haven't yet completed.

But don't fret my pets, I will have it done and posted soon!



Isn't she a cutie? I named her "The Rosie". I love naming my jewelry. It gives me even more fuel for not being able to throw out any of my ridiculously large jewelry stash.

Have a crafty weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment