Memories... Like Mom Made!

Memories... Like Mom Made!
Out of dark moments, flowers grow.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Carrot Bread... Like Mom Made

So this recipe really is one that was my mother's. Except she always made zucchini bread. I remember her making carrot bread ONE time, and I was in college at the time, because I took it back with me to the dorm and I think it lasted like... five minutes... Poor, hungry college girls and delicious quick breads go together VERY well...

So anyway, I have all of these carrots that I got from the free fruits and vegetables last week.. And I am talking HUGE honking big carrots! So I decided to dust off my cookbook (written by my Mom and Nana) and find the old zucchini bread recipe... A few modifications and I have turned it into the perfect carrot bread recipe.

Here is what you do:

Cream together
1 c white sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c oil
2 tsp. vanilla (or if you are like me just splash it in there until you are happy enough)
3 eggs

After this is good and creamed, add 2 c shredded (I used my food processor grater thingy), carrots... or zucchini. I am not going to lie, I didn't REALLY measure the carrots... I would say it was probably closer to three cups than two... Give that a good stir and then sift in (mom and I are both the same on this... we wouldn't use two bowls, we just sift it in on top, making sure that the salt and soda and powder is sifted in the middle of the flour, then give it a good stir):

2 c. flour (I did half whole wheat, but feel free to do whatever combo you prefer)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (because, why not!? this was not in the original recipe, in case you wondered)

After all this is mixed really well, throw in one cup of nuts, or some raisins, or cranberries... or whatever... Because, well, why not!?

Pour into 2 well greased pans, and bake for 1 hour at 325.. or until done...

Also, I like to sprinkle just a tiny bit of sugar on top in the middle of baking because it makes for some yummy gooeyness and caramelization.

I hope you enjoy it! I will upload pictures of my finished bread after it is all done baking!

** note ** I changed the flour amount from 3 cups all purpose to 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup bread flour... This is also because I added more carrots than normal... If you are using zucchini, keep in mind that zucchini is much more moist than carrots, and add that last cup of flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment