Memories... Like Mom Made!

Memories... Like Mom Made!
Out of dark moments, flowers grow.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Carrot and Sweet Potato Chips

So last week I got a bunch of carrots and sweet potatoes at the free fruits and vegetables through FoodLink. This has forced me to come up with various ways to use these vegetables (as well as spaghetti squash). I have made Carrot Bread, Sweet Potatoes fries (I will post the recipe later), Sweet Potato and Plantain Soup (I will post this later as well), thrown some carrots into our Chicken and Dumplings, and so on and so forth. Well today Landon and I are going to have some hummus with our lunch (our ultimate pick me up) along with some homemade pita bread that I am thawing from the freezer. A while ago I saw a recipe on one of my favorite blogs that I decided I would try one day. Well today I am going to try Emily's Carrot Chips, with my own twist!

Here is how you make them:

Peel your sweet potatoes and carrots
Slice thinly using a mandoline, food processor, or do it the old fashioned way with your knife and cutting board. The thinner the slice, the crispier the chip... however, you want something substantial that will hold up... so don't get too carried away! *Tip* Keep the veggies separated if you are doing both at the same time... The cooking time may vary and you don't want to have to fish out some badly burning sweet potatoes or carrots while the other veggies are under done...

Heat a little bit of your go to oil in a frying pan. I prefer olive, but that is just me.

Add your "chips" and let them crisp for a minute or two, then flip. You will know when to do this, trust me...

When they are ready to come out, use a big slotted spoon and lift them onto paper towels to drain.

Now comes the fun part. You can toss your chips with some brown sugar and cinnamon (for the sweet potatoes) a little cumin or curry (either one), sea salt and garlic (carrots), or just some sea salt and pepper (either one).

Be creative and remember to do a little test batch before committing your entire batch to one flavor...



And since good chips never go naked (well okay, sometimes they do go naked... but not today)... how about a yummy dipping sauce for those who don't like hummus?

This dipping sauce is superb on sweet potato fries and chips, and if you leave out the yogurt it is incredible to drizzle on grilled watermelon (I will post that recipe later too).

Honey Lime Dipping Sauce

2 T Honey
2 T Lime juice
zest of lime
Heaping spoonful or two of plain yogurt
*optional* Splash of pineapple juice (if you happen to have it on hand like I did)

Mix first three ingredients well, then stir in the yogurt. If you are using pineapple juice, add it with the first three ingredients. You want the sauce to be a thick enough consistency to dip, so add more yogurt as needed and be sure to taste it as you add.

No comments:

Post a Comment